Alexander J. Smith Law Offices-Personal Injury Law-
Licensed in Wisconsin & Illinois
Because of their smaller size, motorists frequently fail to see motorcycles, resulting in motorcycle accidents. A motorcycle vs. car accident presents an obvious mismatch in size, and predictably, the results can be fatal: between 2001 and 2008, more than 34,000 motorcyclists were killed; an estimated 1,222,000 others were treated in U.S. emergency departments for non-fatal motorcycle-related personal injuries.
Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Wisconsin and Illinois
Have you been injured in a motorcycle accident in Wisconsin or Illinois and are unsure about what to do next? Call Alexander J. Smith Law Offices today!
As the seasons change and the weather gets warmer, more and more motorcycle enthusiasts will be utilizing the roads and highways in and around Wisconsin and Illinois.
Motorcycles are not large vehicles to begin with and they offer little to no protection to the riders. The compact size of these vehicles makes it difficult for other drivers to see them. As a result, motorcyclists are seriously injured in devastating collisions that happen every single day.
According to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, over 5,000 people lose their lives each year in motorcycle accidents across the United States. Sadly, more than 80,000 other motorcyclists are left with life-altering injuries from their accidents. In fact, over 80% of all victims involved in motorcycle accidents are injured or killed each year.
Motorcycle Accidents Resulting in Serious Injury in Wisconsin and Illinois
A large majority of motorcycle accidents are caused by other cars and their drivers. Driver negligence is a very real concern for all drivers but especially for bikers. A motorcyclist’s small vehicle offers very little, if any protection for the rider, especially when they are hit by an average-sized passenger vehicle that weighs tons and is made of steel.
The motorcycle accident lawyers at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices have more than two decades of personal injury law experience successfully representing injured motorcycle accident victims to ensure that they get the justice and compensation they deserve. Our reputable team works aggressively to ensure that our clients are able to collect the maximum amount of compensation available for their injury claims.
We review claims for victims, speak with witnesses, gather documents, work with expert recreationists, and take a variety of other steps toward ensuring victims are able to protect their legal rights and focus on recovering. Contact our personal injury law firm today to see how we can help you. We have offices located in Janesville and Beloit in Wisconsin and an office in Roscoe, Illinois to better serve you.
Why Work With a Personal Injury Lawyer Following Your Injury Accident?
When people are injured in motorcycle accidents, it can have a devastating impact on their lives and the lives of the people who love them. When someone does incur injuries as a result of another person’s actions or negligence, we at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices help them collect the compensation they deserve to alleviate the financial burdens they face after the accident.
Far too often, accident victims are denied the compensation they deserve by self-focused insurance companies. Rather than just accepting a low ball settlement offer, it is crucial that injured motorcycle accident victims contact a reputable motorcycle accident attorney in Wisconsin or Illinois as soon as possible following an accident.
From the moment that you retain a motorcycle accident attorney at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices, we begin careful preparation for your case. Our aggressive approach to handling motorcycle accident claims places victims in a better position to negotiate full and fair settlements before having to go to trial. Here’s what you can expect from our personal injury attorneys at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices:
- Obtain a copy of the police report
- Take statements and testimony from witnesses
- Photograph the scene of the accident
- Take photographs of the damage to all vehicles involved
- Review surveillance footage of the accident whenever available
- Work with expert reconstructionists to recreate the accident
- Review any black boxes or computer recordings available
- Obtain copies of medical records and bills
- Determine the costs of a victim’s accident
- Communicate with insurance carriers
- Obtain available copies of traffic light sequencing data
- Maintain open communication with victims about their claims
- Help victims get their vehicles repaired in a timely manner
- Aggressively negotiate full and fair settlements on behalf of victims
- Successfully take cases to trial
We believe communicating with our clients is paramount. For this reason, we provide individualized and personalized legal representation to our clients to ensure no question goes unanswered. We provide one-on-one attention to every client, on every claim that we handle to ensure our clients know and understand what is happening every step of the way. By keeping victims and their families well-informed throughout the entire legal process, victims are better able to focus on healing while knowing their legal rights are protected.
At Alexander J. Smith Law Offices, we strive to help injured motorcycle accident victims collect the maximum amount of compensation available under the law so they can focus on recovering. For this reason, we are dedicated to providing fast, aggressive, and client-focused representation for every victim. Contact our motorcycle accident attorneys in Wisconsin and Illinois as soon as possible to see how we can help you.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Wisconsin and Illinois
Although less than 1% of vehicles sharing the roadway are motorcycles, they are involved in roughly 14% of all collisions throughout the United States. Unfortunately, motorcyclists are often blamed for these horrific accidents. The truth is that most motorcycle accidents are caused by negligent and reckless drivers who share the roads and highways with them. There are various causes of motorcycle accidents in both Wisconsin and Illinois, including but not limited to the following:
- Distracted Drivers: Drivers who are distracted are one of the most common causes of collisions across the United States. Drivers who eat, drink, change the radio, or use their cellphones to talk, text, or browse are likely to cause devastating collisions.
- Impaired Drivers: There are strict laws in place to prevent drivers from heading out on the road when they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Unfortunately, we continue to see motor vehicle accidents throughout the area caused by impaired drivers. Individuals who are impaired are often unable to respond to other vehicles, traffic control devices, and objects quickly, which can lead to horrific collisions.
- Reckless Driving Behaviors: When drivers fall asleep behind the wheel, speed, ignore traffic signs and control devices, switch lanes without looking, and engage in other reckless behaviors, it is likely that a collision will occur. Sadly, countless people end up dead or injured as the result of drivers engaging in reckless behaviors while in control of their vehicles.
- Unsafe Lane Changes: An unsafe lane change happens all too frequently in both Illinois and Wisconsin. A lane change that is unsafe can be an annoyance for a motorist but can cause a high-speed crash that can have catastrophic results for the motorcyclist.
- Opened Car Doors: When a driver opens a car door without being mindful of the traffic around them, a dangerous and oftentimes deadly accident can result for an unsuspecting rider. If you or someone you love was injured in an accident like this, Alexander J. Smith Law Offices’ can help you get justice.
- Sudden Stops: All motorists are required to maintain control of their vehicle at all times. When a driver stops suddenly, the results for a biker who is driving behind them can be extremely serious, oftentimes catapulting the rider violently causing catastrophic or fatal injuries.
- Product Liability: Although less common, there are numerous collisions that occur due to defective or malfunctioning parts. When tires blowout, mechanical parts fail, or brake systems fail to operate correctly, it can make it difficult or impossible for riders and other drivers to control their vehicles. As a result, motor vehicle accidents are highly likely.
- Driving Conditions: Dark driving conditions, inclement weather, broken roads, and various other factors can have a negative impact on a driver’s ability to see others sharing the road. Unfortunately, these undesirable conditions combined with the compact size of motorcycles are a recipe for disaster.
Common Injuries Reported in Motorcycle Accidents in Wisconsin and Illinois
The Center for Disease Control and Preventions conducted a comprehensive study surrounding motorcycle accidents to determine what types of injuries are most common among victims. Between 2001 and 2008, over one million motorcyclists were treated in emergency rooms for nonfatal injuries incurred in motorcycle accidents across the United States. These incidents demonstrated:
- Over 30% of reported injuries involved the victims’ lower extremities
- Over 22% of motorcyclists suffered head and neck injuries
In other cases, victims incurred upper trunk injuries to their chests, backs, and shoulders, as well as lower trunk injuries to their arms and hands.
Data from Illinois during the same period found that over 35% of victims suffered injuries that prevent them from engaging in activities they enjoyed before their accidents.
Motorcyclists are vulnerable to a wide range of injuries. Many of these injuries are life-threatening. They can range from minor to more disabling injuries such as a head or spinal cord injury, or amputation of a limb. The most commonly reported injuries that are reported from motorcycle accidents in Wisconsin and Illinois are as follows:
- Fractures and Broken Bones
- Neck Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Injury to Upper Extremities
- Injury to Lower Extremities
- Internal Organ Injury
- Muscle Damage
- Joint Damage
- Loss of Limbs/Amputation
Although Wisconsin and Illinois do not require the use of helmets when riding a motorcycle, there is a significant increase in the severity of head trauma in victims who are not wearing them at the time of their accidents. Individuals who are harmed in accidents, due to the negligent or reckless actions of other drivers, can count on our law firm to get the justice they deserve and the compensation they need to recover.
When someone is harmed in an accident because of another driver’s negligent actions, it is essential to contact a motorcycle accident attorney in Wisconsin or Illinois who can help you to protect your rights as an injured victim. At Alexander J. Smith Law Offices we have more than twenty years of personal injury law experience successfully representing injured accident victims. We help our clients collect full and fair compensation for their claims. Our reputable team is dedicated to helping victims recover from their horrific accidents and move forward in the best position possible.
Liability and Damages in Motorcycle Accident Cases
Victims who are injured in motorcycle accidents that are the result of another person’s actions may be entitled to compensation. In some cases, victims may be able to collect compensation for collisions that were partially their fault.
Our motorcycle accident attorneys in Wisconsin and Illinois understand the uphill battles injured victims face while trying to recover from their injuries. In many cases, insurance companies fight tooth and nail to prevent victims from recovering the maximum amount of compensation available for their claims.
Working with a reputable attorney from Alexander J. Smith Law Offices will ensure that you are fully and fairly compensated for your motorcycle injury claims. Some of the damages our team helps victims collect compensation for include:
- Reimbursement for all past, current, and future medical expenses
- Compensation for any future care expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Mental anguish
- Punitive damages
When victims lose their lives in a fatal crash that was caused by another driver’s careless, reckless, or negligent actions, our personal injury attorneys help collect the maximum amount of compensation available for the injury claim. Contact our law firm as soon as possible to get started with your claim.
Why Work With Alexander J. Smith Law Offices in Wisconsin or Illinois
Motorcyclists wear very little protective equipment and as such are vulnerable to the much larger vehicle who share the roadways with them. Given this fact, riders are likely to suffer more significant injuries when involved in a serious accident. Unfortunately, many bikers in Illinois and Wisconsin will be forced to endure overwhelming pain and suffering caused by motorcycle crashes each year. Rather than attempting to navigate the complex legal system alone, it is imperative for victims to contact a motorcycle accident attorney in Wisconsin or Illinois as soon as possible following your accident. The injured victims may be entitled to compensation to help alleviate the financial burdens they face from their accidents.
Over the past twenty years, Alexander J. Smith Law Offices has helped countless victims collect millions of dollars for damages resulting from their accidents. Our team provides aggressive representation to ensure victims get the maximum amount of compensation for their claims.
After a motorcycle accident, victims often endure thousands of dollars in medical expenses while being forced out of work due to their injuries. It is extremely easy for victims to feel lost and alone as they begin their recovery. Our team at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices understands what you are going through. We recognize that victims often encounter overwhelming financial consequences from their accidents. For this reason, we work with victims on a contingency basis. We will not ask victims for any money upfront. Instead, we collect our share of settlements once victims are paid. If our clients do not win their legal cases, we will not charge them a dime.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident due to the reckless actions of another driver sharing the road, contact our law firm at (608) 237-7035 (for victims harmed in Wisconsin) or, if you live in Illinois, (815) 243-9686. Schedule a free case evaluation at your earliest convenience with one of our personal injury attorneys to explore legal options available for you.
COMMUNITIES WE SERVE
Alexander J. Smith Law Offices is dedicated to helping injured people and their families in Wisconsin and Illinois:
- Janesville, WI
- Beloit, Wi
- Evansville, Wi
- Delavan, Wi
- Walworth, Wi
- Roscoe, Il
- South Beloit, Il
- Rockton, Il
- Machesney Park, Il
- Loves Park, Il
- Rockford, Il
Send Us A Message
This web site is made available by Alexander J. Smith Law Offices for general information purposes only and to provide a general understanding of certain aspects of personal injury law, NOT to provide legal advice. Readers of this web site are cautioned that reading it or submitting an inquiry does not create an attorney-client relationship between the reader and Alexander J. Smith Law Offices.