Traffic accidents are the leading cause of personal injury in the United States. Each year the country sees approximately 6 million accidents with 2.35 million ending in major, catastrophic injuries. No one can ever be one-hundred percent safe when driving on the road, but the best way to reduce your risk for a crash is to obey the rules of the road, give yourself and others around your space, driver appropriately for weather conditions. Simply obeying in safe driving practices and always wearing your seatbelt can do you a world of good while on the road.
Wearing your seatbelt must be done every time you get into the car. A seatbelt greatly reduces the risk you have for ejection from your vehicle, and it also lowers your risk for severe injury and death in the event of an accident. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) tells us that each year Americans spend approximately 1 million days in the hospital because of injuries after a vehicular accident.
The Illinois Department of Transportation reports that there are around 310,000 accidents that take place every year in our state. There are many costs that accidents have on Americans. Physical pain, property loss, and mental anguish after an accident cost Americans a great amount of sanity and money. In the United States, we spent over $18 billion in medical expenses just in the year 2012. Injuries from accidents often put us in a position where we cannot work and that time away from work cost country $33 billion in 2012.
When you have been in an accident, your rights must be protected. An Illinois automobile accident injury attorney at the Alexander J. Smith Law Offices will make sure that they are.
What Are The Leading Causes For Accidents?
- Distracted driving is a growing problem in our country and throughout the world. It is especially dangerous for drivers to be distracted when they must be paying attention to the roads. If your mind, eyes, or hands are doing anything but their part in driving, you are distracted. Distracted driving will be the cause of 9 lives lost and 1,000 people every year in the United States.
- Driving while intoxicated is as reckless as it is dangerous and it is also illegal across the country. Intoxicated drivers who injure or kill others are subject to both civil and criminal punishments.
- Driving at excess speeds puts the control out of the driver’s hands and into the unknown. When an emergency decision or move must take place there often isn’t enough time to do what is needed when speeds are high.
- Driving while drowsy is extremely hazardous and similarly as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Inclement weather makes visibility difficult, roads hazardous, and other drivers perilous. One must always exercise extra caution during these conditions and if they are too severe, pull over until it can safely operate their vehicle.
Do You Need The Help Of An Experienced Illinois Or Wisconsin Car Accident Attorney?
The Illinois personal injury attorneys at the Alexander J. Smith Law Offices have years of experience helping victims of accidents obtain a fair settlement. Our team of Beloit personal injury lawyers at Alexander J. Smith Law Offices are here to talk to you about your accident during a free consultation. Call us today at (608) 237-7035 for residents of Wisconsin or (815) 243-9686 for residents of Illinois.