There is a wide range of injuries and bodily damage that can result from a car accident. Depending on the severity of an accident, people can also lose their lives. When you have been in an accident and are injured, you will need compensation. To obtain a settlement you must file a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver. When you do this, you will be dealing with their insurance company in order to obtain compensation.
Insurance companies will do everything possible to reduce the amount of money they have to pay. Adjusters will use an injury victim’s medical records to put a dollar amount on your claim. Focusing solely on your injuries and not on the other repercussions of the accident such as emotional pain and suffering, the number they determine is often much lower than what your claim is worth. If you don’t know this, you could agree to much less than what you need to help you get treatment for your injuries. After you accept an offer you aren’t going to be able to go back and ask for more when you find out the cost of your care is much higher than your settlement amount covers.
This is why it is so important that when you decide to file a personal injury claim that you enlist the help of an experienced Janesville car accident attorney who knows what your claim is worth and will fight on your behalf so you obtain a fair settlement.
What Are The Most Common Injuries From Car Accidents?
- Scrapes, bruises, tenderness are very common after a crash. Even when you are hit at low speeds the force can still cause your body to violently jerk back and forth. You could be cut or bruised from anything inside your car. While a seatbelt should always be worn in the car they can also cut or bruise the skin doing the job they are meant to do which is stop your body from flying forward. If notice damage to your body after an accident you should seek medical attention to ensure that there aren’t any other underlying damages sustained.
- Head injuries should always receive medical attention. Any impact on the skull puts you at high risk for a concussion. Concussions can be mild or they can be very serious. If left untreated, you may develop post-concussion syndrome which can significantly affect your cognitive functioning. To reduce any progression in damages, you need to obtain proper treatment.
- Neck and back injuries can happen in any crash but are most common in rear-end crashes. When your body is held stable and your head jolts forward and thrashes back quickly the strain and damage to your intervertebral joints, discs, ligaments, cervical muscles, and nerve roots. Neck sprains or whiplash is very common after accidents.
- Broken bones, torn ligaments in your extremities and joints happen quite often in car crashes.
- Emotional distress from the shock and trauma of your accident experience is also common. These injuries are much harder to value because you can’t see them. You could experience long-lasting emotional damage from an accident such as developing anxiety, chronic pain, or chronic stiffness making daily life much more difficult to manage. You deserve compensation for all injuries including your pain and suffering.
Find A Wisconsin And Illinois Personal Injury Attorney To Help You Today
The trusted team of Janesville personal injury lawyers at the Alexander J. Smith Law Offices will represent your best interests after you were injured in an accident that was not your fault.
Call us today to set up a free consultation at (608) 237-7035 for residents of Wisconsin or (815) 243-9686 for residents of Illinois. Our highly knowledgeable Wisconsin and Illinois personal injury attorneys are here for you to discuss your accident experience.